Green Rice/ Coriander rice
Rice cooked with a blend of fresh green ingredients like coriander. Serve with your choice of curry, lentils or vegetable dish.
I am obsessed with coriander; if you read my posts I add coriander to everything. But the urge of adding coriander to every dish does not stop at garnishing. It tastes way better cooked than garnished. And so I am posting one of my favorite recipes and my mom’s signature rice dish ‘Green Rice’.
I promise you will love it!
1 Cup Basmati Rice
1 small bunch coriander
1 green chilly
2 cloves garlic
A tiny piece of Ginger
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp. coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp. oil
1. Rinse rice and keep aside.
2. Blend coriander, ginger, garlic, chilly, tomato, to a fine paste( add 2 tbsp. of water if needed).
3. In a pot, heat about 2 tbsp. of oil, add green paste masala cover and cook for 5 min (allow all the water to evaporate) , then sauté every min to cook the masala.
4. Once cooked, add cumin seeds, coriander powder, drained rice, salt to taste and sauté.
5. Add 1 and a ½ cup water, stir. Cover and bring to a boil, once water evaporates, cover and simmer for 8 min or until cooked.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork, and serve!
I am serving mine with aloo Gobi but its tastes great on its own or even better with amti/daal.
1.The key to making it is sautéing the masala really well.
2. I use a coffee mug to measure my rice and the quantity may vary.
3.For every mug of rice I use 1 and a half cup water as I am looking for well separated rice ( moisture from coriander and the added oil also helps, so a little less water than usual).